Tuesday 24 May 2011

A Rude Awakening

I am not sure whether I was woken by DH moving around the room or by the droning of what I thought was an alarm.
"What's that?" I muttered not fully waking.
DH said he didn't know. As far as I was concerned it was coming from the clock/radio and I was wondering why on earth DH wasn't dealing with it.
I must have dozed back off because, when Douglas announced that I should call the Fire Brigade "There's a car on fire", I thought he was dreaming. Nevertheless, I sprang out of bed, simultaneously trying to make sense of the sleep-befuddled information assaulting my brain and heading to find a phone in the dark. (I'm not sure why I didn't just use my mobile next to my bed!). In the dark I dialled what I thought was triple 0 and was told by the voice on the phone that she was sorry but that number could not be connected. I tried that twice before I gave up the home phone and grabbed my mobile, called 000, and saw what DH was talking about - a vehicle fully on fire, horn blaring, obviously triggered by the blaze, on the street two doors down from our house.

Oh my goodness!!! I have never seen anything like it. I watched warily from the corner of our house fearing that the car might explode. DH was more daring and went up close to take photos.


Evil-smelling palls of black smoke poured into the street-lit sky. We could hear the fire engine coming and  I thought the boys (huge fans of our emergency services) would like to witness this event so DH went and woke them. Hudson was so excited that he went back inside and woke Malachi as well. The Fire Brigade arrived pronto and doused the fire within minutes.


DH got ready to go to work. I went back to bed hoping to catch a few more zzzzz's before my alarm went off. Engines rumbling, reversing beeps piercing the quiet, hammering, banging all ensued as the charred remains of what was once a Mazda van were removed. Finally there was some quiet before the first bus of the day drove past and my alarm went off but there was no more sleep for me. :(

So there you go. And it's only 7am!!!

2 comments:

Peg said...

Woah, that's some early morning excitement!!

Camping reviews said...

I agree with peg