Monday 28 January 2008

Australians

It's the last day of our Australia Day long weekend. At last I have done a layout about being Australian (well, my kids being Australian, anyway!)

The challenge at the Scrapapple Weekend Workout this weekend was to make your own embellishment. Here it is - a cute little Australian flag which I decided, half way through sewing on the beads, was totally mad. Glad I didn't have to make it any bigger.



In case you didn't already know, I love the English language and I love mathematics. Put them together and this is what you can do...

Take the Australian flag (the one that I made) for example. Okay! Douglas and I have British heritage (we are Australian though) - that's the Union Jack. The seven pointed star represents the seven children that we have had. The four bigger stars (jewel brads) of the Southern Cross represent our four big kids and the little star (heart brad) represents Billy-Jean (more about her next month.) The beads? May we have many grandchildren!!!

And then, for the second part of the Weekend Workout challenge, we had to use the embellishment. So I did. I decided that it was about time I tried a Poppet-like creation but I didn't get around to cutting out pieces of paper for the clothes - maybe another time. Maybe not.



Questions.
1. Can you spot the birdie?
2. Who is wearing thongs(flip flops)?
3. Who has rabbit ears?
4. Who knows all the words to Advance Australia Fair?

I love Australia! Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! :)

2 comments:

Peg said...

I never knew you were so patriotic! I must admit, this year I have been feeling it too.

Love your poppets :-)

Anonymous said...

I love this one Diane!
But then again I love all your work.

Tricia B