Thursday 14 August 2008

Daffodils

When I saw the White With 1 challenge for this month I immediately knew that I would have to scrap daffodils.

The daffodils are flowering in the back yard right now but that does NOT mean that Spring is in the air.
It isn't!
We have had a very cold, icy winter and I am looking forward to Spring and warmer weather.

That's the journalling on the page that uses...

White - dominant colour
with 1 - Yellow
with 1 - flowers (I made flowers out of Heidi Swapp XL ghost hearts)


I used Leeann's stitch and rip technique too. Ideally (I say with sore fingers) one would use paper, but I used cardstock! I like the effect. I love my sewing machine too - Mum (and Dad) gave it to me as a wedding present nearly 27 years ago. It still works fine (if Sophie-Lee doesn't touch it).

Daffodils make me think of an illustrated poem in the set of encyclopaedia that we had when I was a kid. The poem was "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" by William Wordsworth.

"I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud"

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed---and gazed---but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

A whole page in the encyclopaedia (probably under Wordsworth) was devoted to a photograph (if I remember rightly) of a field of daffodils with a tree overhanging the scene. I don't know if there was a man in the picture or if I just imagined him there. So there you go. Actually, it might've been an illustration because I think all the photos were black and white and only the illustrations were in colour and this page was definitely in colour!

I think I learned to read by reading the captions in those volumes. I didn't know where, but there was a photo of David by Michelangelo that Deb and I used to giggle over when we found it. Another page I absolutely loved was a whole-page illustration of the different types of grass - hand drawn and beautiful.

Daffodils are now used to raise money for cancer research. As far as I can tell August 22nd 2008 will mark 15 years that Daffodil Day has been marked in the calendar.

Products:Bazzill; Mont Martre acrylic paint (It was the only one I had in bright yellow!); Heidi Swapp XL Ghost Hearts; Uni pin 0.1 and 0.3 fine line pens; And I rolled Glue Dots! Rolling Glue Dots, which I saw on a video at The Boxx (I think) has revolutionised my use of those marvelous adhesive spots.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Love your take on the white with one challenge, your LO is gorgeous perfect for this challenge - Good luck!!! Also luv what you did with the hearts!
Reneexx

Unknown said...

Hi Diane,
wow - really love this, it looks fabulous!!! I'm also giving this challenge a go this month (luv yellow). BTW thanks for visiting my blog too.
Aga xx