Sunday 4 April 2010

Happy Easter

Easter Sunday is a joyous remembrance and a present knowing that Jesus is alive!!! Jesus, the Christ, the Messiah, has conquered sin and death. Yippee.

All around the world life is celebrated with chickens, eggs, bunnies and whatnot. I thought today might be the day to show you pictures of the wonderful passionfruit (that's how we spell it here in Australia) flower and its produce. We have it growing in our back yard. I've heard it said that the passionfruit flower has a representation of religious things hence the word 'passion' in its name.

Here are the beginnings of a passionfruit flower. What a glorious thing it is!!!



Now you can see the stigma which symbolises Jesus, the Triune God, and the anthers which represent the 5 wounds (hands, feet and side) Jesus suffered on the Cross for my sin and yours.


Apparently, the hairy looking things (I think they are actually part of the petals) around the outside represent the crown of thorns and the petals and sepals represent the 10 faithful apostles.


The vine in our back yard, which is growing heartily over the gardenia bushes surrounding the pool, is covered in large round fruit.



So there you go.
I loved doing the anatomy and reproduction of flowers in science at school.

I'm a novice when it comes to knowing when a passionfruit is ripe. So far we have just waited and they fall off the vine. They are purplish and not at all wrinkly so we put them in a basket and wait.


Apparently they are ripe. We cut one or two open and they look just like passionfruit pulp inside!

I have some memories of passionfruit cordial as a kid. When we first arrived in Australia I had never seen the likes of passionfruit and I had a hard time dealing with the black seeds in the bottom of the Cottee's cordial container. Ha ha. This memory is linked to a picture in my mind of the fridge in our house at 15 Ely Street, Hamilton Hill, WA.

Here's a recipe for passionfruit cordial that sounds very makeable if you can have that sort of thing. Just pop around and get some passionfruit from our place.

Also I remember having a bit of a passion for Passiona as a teenager. I used to get it at the corner shop right next to Engadine Station (I think it's now a plumbing store) on my way to, or from, school.

You know what the sad thing is? We can't eat them cos they are very high in both salicylates and amines.

And while we're on the subject of salicylates and amines...

Chocolate! Also can't have. So Caitlin and I tried our hands at making carob Easter Eggs.


There's nothing worse than unsweetened carob as a substitute for chocolate so we added sugar to the carob buttons, melted them in the microwave and stirred it all together. Then Caitlin and I spooned the carob into the Easter egg moulds. We were questioning how we could make hollow ones but haven't worked that out yet. Nevertheless, we made them slightly concave in the middle so that we could fill them with marshmallow. Which we did. The marshmallow proved to be useful cos it stuck the halves together. :) I don't know how you are supposed to stick them together. I might go and look for some instructions on Easter egg making, particularly hollow ones.

PS. Do you like the juxtaposition of Christmas and Easter? I did that on purpose and also because it was the only suitable size bowl to put the eggs in.

Looking forward to rounding off our Easter Sunday by going to church tonight.

No comments: